Almost 25 people have reported symptoms of food poisoning after receiving food from or visiting one Subway location in Idaho, according to the Southwest District Health (SWDH).
Individuals who reported symptoms visited the fast-food sandwich restaurant in Caldwell between March 16 and March 19. SWDH determined that the store was following all advice and guidelines after an inspection. Though the location has since taken steps to stop the spread of the virus, no specifics were mentioned by SWDH. (Related: The 7 Healthiest Foods to Eat Right Now)
So far, one positive case of norovirus has been confirmed. Norovirus accounts for about 90% of gastrointestinal illness outbreaks each year in the U.S., according to SWDH. Symptoms include vomiting, nausea, low-grade fever, diarrhea, and cramping. They can appear as early as 12 hours after exposure but generally within about 24 to 48.
Unlike another fast-food chain recently impacted by a norovirus outbreak, it’s unclear whether this Subway location will be closed for deep cleaning. An Arby’s location in Illinois was first linked to 40 cases of foodborne illness in late February. That number rose to almost 100 cases by mid-March, and the restaurant was closed twice for cleaning.
“SWDH encourages anyone who is experiencing symptoms of fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and/or vomiting they believe could be related to something they ate to talk to their health care provider,” the office says. “If you believe you were exposed, you should contact the SWDH reporting line about your illness by phone at 208-455-5442.”
To get all of the latest fast-food and food safety news delivered straight to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!